[Spice-devel] QXL on real hardware

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Fri Nov 29 14:08:22 UTC 2019

> Hi all,

> I was wondering if it is possible to get a SPICE (QXL) extra screen on real
> hardware.
> The idea is to use the qxl output and stream it over network to a secondary
> display.

> One solution that is out there is the virtScreen:
> https://github.com/kbumsik/VirtScreen
> This solution uses the intel virtualoutput and VNC server, but it is not very
> responsive.

> While doing some tests with the x11spice server, SPICE protocol seems to be
> better then vnc at remote display.

> Thanks.

Technically no, QXL is the virtual card which is provided to VMs.
If you want to have an additional screen added to your bare metal machine
is not possible.
There was a xspice project giving both a Xorg driver and an Xserver but
has not been updated recently.

I'm curious about the usage. Is it like putting the presentation on the
second screen and being able to share it using SPICE ?

Frediano