[Spice-devel] Working seamless mode

Roland Baudin roland65 at free.fr
Thu Dec 31 09:42:23 UTC 2020

Hi there,

for my own purpose, I have ported the seamless mode patches written by
Jakub Janků, Ondřej Holý and Lukáš Venhoda (see
https://www.spinics.net/lists/spice-devel/msg30177.html) to Ubuntu 20.04.

I have also hacked the virt-viewer gtk app to allow easily entering and
leaving seamless mode. This is a very convenient way to work with the VM
in Ubuntu. It's probably not difficult to do the same with virt-manager
but alas I'm not a Python programmer.

So, I have a set of packages for Ubuntu 20.04 and installation of these
packages is very simple. In the Windows VM, it is also required to
replace the vdagent and vdservice programs by the patched ones. This is
not difficult, but it's a manual process for now.

Everything works well (but there are probably issues I didn't see,
possibly with multiple screens) and I think this could be a major
improvement to the kvm/qemu user experience in Linux.

However, I don't have time (and skills) to maintain these packages and
patches. I have two other open source projects (Xfe and TexMaths) and a
full time job...

So, I'm asking here if someone is interestedto get this work and
maintain it? I could give you my packages (the patches are in the source
packages) and a little explanation to start.

I'd be happy if the community could build something useful upon this work.

If someone is interested, how can I send the files? Mail attachment to
this list? Google drive?

Thanks for andy answer and have a nice day,

RB