[Spice-devel] Webdav on Windows XP

Frediano Ziglio fziglio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 08:10:15 UTC 2020

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to setup a Windows XP SP3 virtual machine with SPICE folder
> sharing. The latest version, v2.4, fails to install, as the
> spice-webdavd service fails to start. Running spice-webdavd.exe
> manually yields the error message "The procedure entry point
> AcquireSRWLockExclusive could not be located in the dynamic link
> library KERNEL32.dll", which seems to be a deficiency in using XP [1].
> After some digging, I've determined that the cause of this is that,
> when starting the service, spice-webdavd calls g_mutex_lock from Glib
> [2], which had XP support removed a couple of years ago [3].
>
> Version v2.2, which comes from before the Glib change was made,
> successfully installs and runs. I have been able to map and somewhat
> use a network drive mapped to the share, but it has broken and I can't
> seem to get it working again; Windows just says that "The network path
> http://localhost:9843 could not be found." Strangely enough, when
> going to that address in Mypal, the share directory is displayed
> without any issues, and I can browse it.

The purpose of spice-webdavd is to provide the port to be able to use
webdav from the guest. If another program is able to use it I would
try to understand why Windows cannot.

Just to confirm, using netstat in the guest can you see the port (9843)
in listening state?
Is the Windows XP service running?

> If this configuration is not supported, I totally understand. Part of
> why I want to point this out is so that, at the very least, this
> incompatibility could be added to the Spice User Manual [4]. Thanks!

I would avoid it, Microsoft stopped supporting XP more than 6 years
ago. Windows XP is abandonware.

> [1] https://github.com/rclone/rclone/issues/1481
> [2]
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/phodav/-/blob/2fe6090823b251c7accfd1f9706d2577e06fe189/spice/spice-webdavd.c#L636