[Spice-devel] Multiple monitors at 4K, in virt-manager?

Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum bg271828 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 10:50:08 UTC 2021

 On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 04:04:27 AM EDT, Julien Rope <jrope at redhat.com> wrote:

 > I still am offered only 2952 x 1781 in the guest. With those settings except 'heads="2"', it is exactly> > the same--that resolution, and only one display, "Virtual-0".> > > > As mentioned in my original message, when I use the Virtio instead of the QXL device, I do get 4K,> > though again choosing 'heads="2"' doesn't give me an additional display in the guest. (Curiously> > the one display I get is "Virtual-1" rather than "Virtual-0".) With this device there's no option for> > changing the video memory in the XML.>
> The numbering (Virtual-0 vs Virtual-1) is expected - this is not an issue.>
> Do you actually get the choice of additional displays in virt-viewer (not in the guest) ?> Under the top menu "View -> Displays" you should have a list of available displays. Do you see them ? Are they enabled or grayed out ?
Ah, that is some kind of progress!
This is not visible in the integrated viewer in virt-manager, but when I launch virt-viewer on itsown, yes, I do get the option of two displays. And enabling them both does allow me to launcha second display.
I cannot then launch the display settings in the guest, however; it segfaults right away. I'll look into that. But xrandr does report two displays; the second one is 2135 x 1647, though. Not clear why Istill don't get a 4K option with QXL.
If I try this with the virtio device (instead of QXL) with two heads, it's similar: a separate virt-viewer instance allows me to launch two displays; in this case xrandr reports 4K displays. But as before, the display settings manager segfaults right away.
Exploring further.
Jen