[Spice-devel] Problem using Spice in combination with SSH tunnel

Thomas Semmler ddfddf at posteo.de
Thu Mar 2 13:32:10 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

I encountered a problem I can't make heads or tails of. I have a server
running KVM/libvirt as a virtualization host. The virtual machines on
this server are setup to use the spice protocol. When using the servers
desktop environement I can use virt-manager or remmina to connect to
the virtual machine's spice server(s) without a problem. The spice
server is listening on localhost only.

I wanted to connect from a remote client to the server via a ssh tunnel
and then connect to spice over the tunnel. I tried with both virt-
manager (which has an integrates ssh tunnel option) and remmina (which
also has an integrated setting to create a tunnel) on the client to
establish a connection, but it is not working as intended.

While I can see a video output of the desktop, the video output does
not resize to the window width and hight and none of the input methods
are working. I can not send keypresses or mouse movements the the
virtual machine on the server.

I started virt-manager on the client with the debug option (--dubug)
and attached the resulting output, containing a few spice errors, to
this email.

In case you require more information please let me know.

Thanks,
Thomas