[Swfdec] [youtube] Performance of video in flash

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Tue Dec 11 02:33:59 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 10:16 AM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5polish at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/12/4, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5polish at gmail.com>:
> > I am quite happy about using swfdec except one thing: performance
> > while playing videos. I know that I can not expect much as long as
> > OpenGL isn't used buy... currently I get something about 1fps using:
> > AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-28 1600 MHz
> > 514 684 kB RAM
> > Radeon Mobility X700 (radeon driver)
> >
> > Is this normal that fps value is so low? Audio works fine but it's
> > impossible to watch anything with 1fps. Or... maybe I am just doing
> > something wrong?
> >
> > Ah, my swfdec version is 0.5.4 from Packman for openSUSE 10.3.
>
> Could someone tell me, how it works for you? Is this normal or it
> means problem with my configuration?

The fact that Swfdec is slow in general is a problem of X not being
optimized very well for this task. Unfortunately, this means it's
pretty much out of our control just how well Swfdec works.

However, you can still get widely different results depending on your
X server, graphic card and configuration. My mail at
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/swfdec/2007-September/000561.html
has some hints (2nd paragraph) that might or might not work for you.

Cheers,
Benjamin