[Swfdec] as branch progress report

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Jun 18 06:49:06 PDT 2007

You should probably reply-to-all, so this discussion can continue on
the list. I'm cc'ing the list again.

On to the topic:

On 6/18/07, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds at gmail.com> wrote:
> No. 0.5.0 should have a target. Maybe ability to play youtube ;-) (or
> metacafe, google video, some lovely games... you add here) , reach
> stability of 0.4.x, more comprehensive test suites or whatever.

My original target for 0.5.0 was "get rid of the Mozilla engine". That
has pretty much happened by now. I think XML and NetStream need to be
hooked up and then it's done. Unfortunately I got sidetracked by lots
of other stuff that I'm fixing.

> I think we still need a way to test visual output. Without that we are
> unable to test movies, shapes, drawing API... Good test suites should
> catch them all :)

There is a way to test visual output. See test/image/README. You
provide an SWF file and a reference image and it checks that they
match. I've been testing the jpeg decoder that way. It's a bit harder
to do since one needs to manually grab the image in the GIMP and then
save it. So I tend to ignore it (oops).

> I don't mind working with your latest surgeries (I could branch it off
> from a good commit anyway). But I would prefer small, incremental
> patches than one big patch.

Me too. I'm trying to keep it as small as possible, but when I rip out
a whole structure, it's just not possible with less code. I normally
try to make patches as small as possible. Sometimes it's just not
easily possible.
I should probably write longer commit messages for those bigger changes.

Cheers,
Benjamin