[Swfdec] Autoplay option

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Fri Apr 25 03:44:34 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> wrote:
>  I don't like the recent change to the plugin that makes some flash files
>  to play automatically.  I know that GUI design is not my thing, but let
>  me explain what I don't like:

Yeah, the current state is an experiment where we are not sure how
it'll play out. I do like it a lot or the few Flash files Im using,
but I'm just another data point. We've been trying to come up with a
solution that fits everyone, but it seems so far we haven't been
successful.
I think the features we want are pretty simple:
- Autoplay should play the files I want to see playing, but not those
I don't want.
- Autoplay should be easy to get right. It should require as little
configuration as possible.

That's about it. Of course, this is pretty broad without specific user
scenarios. So we should try to come up with some scenarios. I'll list
the one I know about, and you can reply with the ones missed.
Afterwards we will try to figure out the best setting that works for
all or most of them. Here we go:

Benjamin is a user without a lot of clue about Flash. He just knows
two things: He visits sites such as Youtube and Google Video and the
video player on these sites should autoplay. However there's also
annoying ads on other sites. Those ads should not annoy him. He's also
quite stupid. This means he usually doesn't figure out how to set up
properties. He also doesn't remember if he has set up settings before.

>  5) The autoplay setting is saved before the plugin exits.  This means
>  that it the browser becomes unresponsive and has to be killed, the same
>  flash file will autoplay next time.  I'd rather see the "true" setting
>  saved only if the plugin stops handling the flash file and there have
>  been no errors.

Yeah, that's indeed a good idea. We should change that.

Cheers,
Benjamin