[Swfdec] swfdec and clutter

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Fri Jul 4 07:11:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Uygar Gümüs <uygar.gumus at vestel.com.tr> wrote:
> hi,
>
> 1- Why  swfdec_playback.c and swfdec_source.c  are a part of swfdec-gtk they
> can compile without gtk. In my case i used these codes directly by copying
> to my source tree. they can be a part of public swfdec api and project like
> clutter-swf can use them from libswfdec

The big difference between libswfdec and libswfdec-gtk is that
libswfdec itself does not require a main loop. All stuff that does
require a main loop goes into libswfdec-gtk. This is slightly
unfortunate because there's various projects that do use glib main
loops but don't use Gtk, but splitting Gtk into two libraries sounds
stupid too. And I don't want to have Swfdec support main loops, or KDE
people will start to look at me funny.
So far I've just copy-pasted the files from libswfdec-gtk that I
wanted to use, if I couldn't use swfdec-gtk. As libswfdec-gtk only
uses the public API of swfdec, that is easily possible.

> 2- http loader using libsoup is also enabled when swfdec-gtk enabled. Is it
> possible to create a loader which is not dependent swfdec-gtk

Yes, Swfdec supports this fine. As I said above, libswfdec-gtk uses
only the public API of libswfdec. So you can take the libsoup loader
and replace the calls with curl calls and it'll compile fine. (As a
ide note, the Mozilla plugin implements their own loader, too.

> 3- As mentioned before i will use swfdec in a big media application which
> uses curl for http connection. But swfdec uses only libsoup, Because of
> dependency issues i think that it is not a bad idea to add a curl loader and
> select it at configure time (something like --with-http=<curl/libsoup>)

I do think it's a bad idea. Only backends that get regularly used are
able to keep up with our development. Because of this, we try very
hard to only have one backend for everything and drop everything else.
See the recent discussions when we dropped support for ffmpeg, mad or
oss.
Of course we support other people writing and maintaining their own backends.

> 4- swfdec_regtangle.h does not contain G_BEGIN_DECLS and G_END_DECLS macros.
> i realized it when included to a c++ code. and solved by
>      G_BEGIN_DECLS
>      #include <swfdec/swfdec.h>
>      G_END_DECLS
>
> but its better to solve it in source code

Should be fixed in git (and 0.6.8 when we release it).

> 5- I passed keys taken from clutter main loop to swfdec player using
> swfdec_player_key_release/press function calls but some keys (like left/right arrow)
> causes critical warnings - "Swfdec-CRITICAL **: swfdec_player_key_release: assertion
> `keycode < 256' failed" - api doc
> (http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/documentation/swfdec/SwfdecPlayer.html#swfdec-player-key-press)
> say to Be sure to check that keycode transformations are done correctly. For a list of
> keycodes see FIXME.

See http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/documentation/swfdec/swfdec-Enumerations-and-Types.html#SwfdecKey
I've fixed the docs in git, too.

Cheers,