[Swfdec] SwfDec w/o Pango

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Thu Jul 9 06:16:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Sajjad Naveed<asksage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we use Cairo (with its font back-end) alone for text layout even
> at the cost poor-incorrect rendering and layout?

I don't think using Cairo for this is a good idea as you're gonna miss
a lot of features. What might be useful - as you said - is not doing
font rendering at all.

> Can we compile 'SwfDec' without support for any text rendering and
> layout at all i.e. graphics and sound only (No Pango)? I believe this
> is possible but how? Where and what should I change?

Pango is only used in the TextField flash object, so if you rip out
all of the code relating to it, you should be ready to go. It's
probably not even hard.
But I don't know of anyone that did it before, nor am I very
interested in it. And that is because I don't think using Pango is a
problem. After all it's just a small library that does lots of useful
things.

Cheers,
Benjamin