[Swfdec] questions

Cakemeister cakemeister at comcast.net
Sat Mar 7 07:31:02 PST 2009

> First, I would like to be able to get how many frames in a movie, skip to
> given frame, and render one selected frame. Looking at the API, I see that
> there are functions for this in swfdec_sprite_movie.h. But I don't see how
> can get to those functions starting from a swfdec_player.

The general suggestion if you want to mess around inside Flash files
is to write a launcher Flash file that loads the one file in question
and then do the jump inside that file.
The Swfdec API changes too much in that are, so we don't want to expose it.

There's a flash instruction that says, "jump to frame x", and "freeze play
here?". Is there a way to construct such a movie and store it in a structure
somewhere?

In the future it might be nice to have jump and pause functions in the API.

> Second, there are some movies that are collections of sprites, and some
that
> are regular movies. How do I determine which is which?

I'm not exactly sure what this question means. Could you explain what
you're teying to achieve?

Some movies repeat when you get to the end of file, and some don't. I don't
see any way to tell between the two types of file.

What I really want to do is determine which files should repeat and which
should not repeat. I also want to know which files I can pull individual
frames out of and which I can't.

> Lastly, there is a certain movie that is running really, really slowly.
The
> log message are below. Is this clipping a problem with the movie itself?

Clipping (or masking) is a feature of Flash, so if you consider a
Flash file that makes use of clipping a "problem", then I guess this
movie qualifies. Also, clipping can be problematic in Cairo, as it's a
different codepath and might not be optimized in the backend you are
using.

I am using the Cairo image code path so that makes sense. The Glitz backend
is not working for me. Looking at the movie, I can see how the clipping is a
problem. I think it changes clip planes mid-movie.