[Swfdec] SwfdecMozilla 100% cpu usage on Youtube

Magnus Hjorth magnus.hjorth at home.se
Sat Mar 7 13:08:46 PST 2009

Hi,

My question is: Can anyone recommend a cheap graphics board that works
well with the GNU/Linux/X/Firefox/Swfdec/Youtube stack?

I am using an old ATI Radeon 9550, and I have been experiencing 100% CPU
usage, stuttering and loss of sync when viewing Youtube movies for quite
a long time now (since Swfdec v 0.6.x, now using 0.8.2). Didn't bother
to report it because I've seen bugzilla entries such as 10385 where X is
blamed. However, I've been through one full distribution update (Ubuntu)
since then and the problem seems to persist. Tried various parameters,
like switching between EXA/XAA but only managed to make the situation
worse.

Any other hints on debugging this further are also welcome..

Regards,
Magnus