SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Sun Dec 20 20:05:12 UTC 2009

Hi, Patrick.

I'm new to Maemo, but I've been a Debian Developer for a long time. I
recently got a N900, and decided I really want to sync my stuff.

I've managed to build the current syncevolution git on Maemo5 (in
Scratchbox), however it did not build cleanly without a few changes (and
I disabled shared libraries since cppunit was not available). Also when
built with optimization it crashes immediately, but appears to at least
start OK when built without optimization. I used the included
debian/rules with a couple of extra environment variables set.

(I'll allow anyone desperate enough to get the .deb I ended up with last
night at http://www.ping.uio.no/~ovehk/maemo/ if they really, really,
want, but it's obviously not anywhere near end-user-ready, there's no
GUI, it's built without optimization, it seems to include
flashmemory-space-wasting .h and .a files, and I disabled regular
expressions.)

Since N900's calendar application no longer uses the evolution backend
(but something Nokia-specific, I guess - some C++ API on top of a sqlite
database), I guess I may have to write a brand new backend in order to
sync the calendar. N900's addressbook still uses the evolution backend,
though. I managed to sync the addressbook in scratchbox, haven't tried
the actual device yet.

Patrick Ohly skrev:
> I'd love to see the latest SyncEvolution releases packaged properly for
> Maemo, and so do users [6]. 0.8.1 still works fine on the older Maemo
> releases it is available for, but 0.9 has several relevant improvements,
> for example synchronization with Google Contacts and a GTK GUI.

Hmm. If someone also made direct sync with Google Calendar, then it
would be really useful...

> I'm posting here because I hope that an interested developer or
> maintainer will step up and take over packaging for Maemo. You can be
> sure that this will have full support when it comes to merging patches
> and including the Maemo port as first-class citizen in releases.

I don't suppose anyone else started working on this yet? If not, do you
have any recommendations on where to start? What version of the software
would it be best/easiest to try packaging, for instance, or is git head
"stable" enough?

Ove