[Opensync-devel] OpenSync: fragmentation is harmful

Daniel Gollub gollub at b1-systems.de
Tue Jan 4 10:36:53 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 10:04:39 am Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > In summary, I would like to understand why you feel that redirecting our
> > efforts to SyncEvolution has any greater chance of success in solving the
> > hard  problems of syncing.
>
> My own summary, more at a meta level than the details above:
>       * don't reinvent the wheel, use a mature engine (Synthesis)

What was your reason choosing SyncEvolution and not OpenSync to adapt to
libsynthesis?

We wouldn't have any "fragmentation" if you would have chosen OpenSync, and
not SyncEvoluation, to adapt it to libsynthesis.

Something I'm very interested and also prepared several changes for, and added
additional complexity, to introduce libsynthesis in OpenSync. E.g. by making
OpenSync independent of xmlformat.

I'm still open to adapt OpenSync and it's plugin to make more use of common
code - e.g. vcard handling of libsynthesis, maybe even seperating libsynthesis
in sometihng like libvxx to provide a common code base for vformats not only
for syncing application. I would be also happy if one day someone prepares
patches which replace OSyncEngine with something based on libsynthesis.

libsynthesis is definitely more mature code regarding vformat handling and the
engine with regards of syncml. Not quite sure with regards generic
synchronization.

And i guess OpenSync Plugin API is more mature then SyncEvolution Backend API.
But would be interesting to hear if there is any flaw inside OpenSync, why it
wasn't chosen to adapt to libsynthesis.

--
Daniel Gollub
Linux Consultant & Developer