[SyncEvolution] Issues with evolution 2.32 and syncevolution 1.1.1a

Matthew Barnes mbarnes at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 23:11:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 13:33 -0800, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> I'm not surprised by that. Evolution 2.30 client libs simply seem not to
> be compatible with 2.32 EDS, and vice versa. But this shouldn't be a
> problem for Debian, right? Just ensure that everything in the same repo
> uses EDS from that same repo.

FWIW, I've since added version numbers to our D-Bus bus names for this
very reason.  Had I thought of it earlier, the address book service in
2.30 would have been named:

   org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Addressbook0

and in 2.32 named

   org.gnome.evolution.dataserver.Addressbook1

to account for the API break that made them incompatible.  Then you
would have seen a much more informative error message from D-Bus.

Hopefully these compatibility problems will be a thing of past for 3.0
and beyond.