baseline distro for SyncEvolution 1.4?

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Mon Jan 27 15:20:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 11:04 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Hello!
>
> So far, syncevolution.org binaries were compiled on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04
> LTS, which made the binaries compatible with pretty much all distros
> since then, including Debian Stable. Since then, another Ubuntu LTS
> (Precise Pangolin, 12.04) was released and Debian Wheezy became Debian
> Stable this weekend.
>
> Does anyone still need SyncEvolution binaries for Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and
> Debian Squeeze?
>
> I'd like to switch to Ubuntu Precise as new baseline distro because then
> binaries can use features from glib 3.32.0, more precisely, the revised
> multithreading API. Then SyncEvolution can prevent premature client
> timeouts when acting as SyncML HTTP server by running long-running local
> storage initialization in a background thread.

I've not received any feedback on this; if no-one objects, I'll go ahead
and bump the requirement of SyncEvolution to glib >= 3.32.

At the same time I will drop support for libdbus as alternative for glib
gio D-Bus. This will make the code simpler and allow me to use more
secure D-Bus IPC (use pipes instead of the less reliable and secure
listening socket that is used at the moment).

Ove, I suspect that this will prevent building SyncEvolution 1.4 for
older Maemo. Do you know which devices have which glib version? Would
you and/or users care?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.