[SyncEvolution] Some events showing wrong time on phone

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Fri Mar 7 15:50:57 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 15:47 +1300, Jane Atkinson wrote:

> On 03/03/14 01:31, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> > On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 21:07 +1300, Jane Atkinson wrote:
> >> I fired up my old copy of Ubuntu 12.04.4, updated it and tested to see
> >> if the problem occurs there. It doesn't.
> > Interesting. SyncEvolution uses system timezone data parsed by libical.
> > There could be a difference between libical 1.0 (in Xubuntu 14.04) and
> > older libical (Ubuntu 12.04.4) and/or in the timezone data itself.
>
> It looks as though libical1 may be the culprit.
>
> I installed libical0 and removed libical1. A test event synced correctly.
>
> Then replaced libical0 with libical1 and synced a second test event. The
> error occurred with this one.

The logs that Jane sent me show a major difference between libical0 and
libical1: libical1 includes information about historic summer saving
times. This seems to break the mapping of CalDAV even timezones to
internal timezones extracted from libical such that the phone gets an
event in New_Zealand timezone (probably from libsynthesis itself) with
outdated information (?).

libical0:

TZ:+12:00
DAYLIGHT:TRUE;+13;20140927T140000Z;20150404T140000Z;NZST;NZDT

libical1:

TZ:+12:00
DAYLIGHT;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:TRUE;+13;20141004T140000Z;20150=
314T140000Z;New_Zealand;New_Zealand

I still need to dig deeper into this to determine why the libical
information is no longer used.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.