[SyncEvolution] Syncevolution for TDE

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Sat Dec 19 19:57:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 09:56 +0000, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Hi all,
> couple of years ago we discussed the advantages of syncevolution and
> SyncML over opensync and support for KDE4.
> Back then I was not sure if I'll stick to KDE, but since I preferred
> to stay on TDE for various reasons.
>
> However I am missing one essential part - the sync with the mobile
> phone(s) in TDE, so I was wondering what I can do about it, being
> already convinced that the only one could help me is syncevolution.
> I would also write backends for TDE if necessary, as I already did for
> opensync, but the integration of the code into the syncevolution build
> and gui are still a mystery for me.

You can copy-and-paste an existing backend (like akonadi), and then
rename files and classes as needed.

> May I ask for your opinion please - what would be the steps or send me
> web links to docs as I'm getting lost in the documentation?

Depending on the kind of PIM storage you need to interface with you need
to implement different interfaces. Most storages support
importing/exporting items in a standard format (like vCard or iCalendar)
and offer some kind of item listing. The TrackingSyncSource is a good
base class for this and comes with full documentation of all virtua
methods that one may have to implement.

> 1. Is there a way to sync with TDE  without writing backends for TDE?
> I ask this in the bluetooth/usb context.

I don't know what kind of storage TDE supports. It's likely that you
will have to write a backend for its PIM API.

> 2. Where do I start and what process should I follow to integrate the
> code into the build and in the gui?

Backends get detected automatically when placed in src/backends, so just
copy-and-paste, modify, then re-run autogen + configure + make.

> 3. In the backend part I see kde, kcalextended and akonadi for kde4 -
> why was that split up - I mean, I see what is in the code, but why the
> split?

kde is the platform support (KWallet). akonadi is the backend for PIM
storage via the Akonadi API. kcalextended is the backend for Nokia's
extended KCal calendar storage (as used in the N9).

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.