Syncevolution chokes on one calendar entry, doesn't say which, doesn't allow to skip, doesn't show actual server's complaint

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Mon Feb 12 09:35:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

When trying to use synccalendar, I occasionally get the following:

[INFO @aev] operation temporarily (?) failed, going to retry in 5.0s before giving up in 298.7s: REPORT 'check for items': bad HTTP status: <status 1.1, code 503, class 5, Service Unavailable>

And then repeats the message with ever growing delays.

Apparently, sync-evolution or the server doesn't like a certain calendar
entry, and rather than move on to the next, just gets stuck on it.

Sometimes killing syncevolution, and then starting it again fixes the
issue, and sometimes not. Btw, to kill syncevolution, just using Ctrl-C
doesn't do the job, you've actually got to use the kill command from
another terminal session, or use Ctrl-Z and then kill.

May I suggest three small changes to make this issue much less painful:

1. When such a thing occurs, actually say *which* calendar entry causes
this. For most practical cases date, time and title should be enough to
uniquely identify the entry and allow the user to "manually" transfer it
(i.e. manually delete it on phone, manually change/create it on server,
and sync it back), or even to allow him to understand what is causing
this.

2. The message just echoes the HTTP Status line, and not the rest of the
contents of the server's error page. Maybe the server (MS Exchange via
davmail) does indeed explain what's the issue with that calendar entry?
Bad status? Bad Reminder options? etc.? Impossible to know easily, as
nowadays most server use HTTPs and so even tcpdump wouldn't be any help.

3. Rather than just retrying forever, syncevolution should skip over the
entry, move on to the next, and repeat in the final summary message that
such-and-such entry was skipped (and identify the entry as described in
point 1)

Other question: I run syncevolution on a BQ Aquaris E5 phone with Ubuntu
Touch. Ubuntu no longer supports touch, however, and apt-get upgrade has
stopped working for a while. So I'm stuck at version 1.5.1+15.04.20160706-0ubuntu1

However, UBports has taken up this task, and I suppose they've got a
repository somewhere from which to get updates from them. Unfortunately
there site is silent on that issue, and only describes how to install
ubports from scratch on a new device, and not how to upgrade an existing
Ubuntu touch device. Do you by chance know what to enter into
/etc/apt/sources.list to get updates from UBports rather than from
Ubuntu?

Third question: due to this whole dropped support issue, I'm in the
market for a new phone, and it will either be stock Android or Lineage
OS (due to current lack of other Linux alternatives :-( ). Does
syncevolution work on these two OS'es?

Thanks,

Alain