[SyncEvolution] Syncing to Memotoo w SyncEvolution post-Fedora 37 upgrade (fwd)

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Sun Feb 19 08:54:12 UTC 2023

Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com> writes:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2023, Patrick Ohly wrote:
>> But it remains unclear where that comes from. What you can try next is
>> running syncevo-dbus-server under valgrind. Remember where the binary
>> is, kill the running process, then in a console window run `valgrind
>> <path to the binary>/syncevo-dbus-server`.
>
> There is no binary on my machine called syncevo-dbus-server.
>
> I ran the command
> dnf whatprovides syncevo-dbus-server
>
> and it produces no results.

That's odd. syncevo-dbus-server is the binary that crashes.

You can start it, then use ps to find it:

$ syncevolution --version
SyncEvolution 2.0.0
Loaded backend library /usr/lib/syncevolution/backends/syncxmlrpc.so
Loaded backend library /usr/lib/syncevolution/backends/platformgnome.so
$ ps x | grep syncevo
 540915 ?        Ssl    0:00 /usr/libexec/syncevo-dbus-server
 540940 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep syncevo

> However, it does get a little muddled at times because of the
> asynchronicity: a set of instructions, and then another later. It becomes
> difficult to judge if all of the instructions need to be run in sequence,
> or just the most recent suggestion.

At this point we need to run it under valgrind. So on my system, the
next step would be:

$ killall syncevo-dbus-server
$ valgrind /usr/libexec/syncevo-dbus-server
==541188== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==541188== Copyright (C) 2002-2017, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==541188== Using Valgrind-3.16.1 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==541188== Command: /usr/libexec/syncevo-dbus-server
==541188==

That'll keep running, so in another shell run the sync command to
trigger the crash or (may happen under valgrind) some error report by
valgrind a successful sync.

The relevant output is the one from valgrind.

--
Best Regards

Patrick Ohly