[systemd-devel] syslog.socket vs. syslog.service

Marius Tolzmann tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de
Fri Dec 3 08:30:08 PST 2010

hi..

>> how is this supposed to be configured correctly.. since i think i need
>> the systemd-kmsg-syslog as long as my syslog.service ist not running
>> and able to write its logfiles to the filesystem.. ??
 >
> If I understood correctly the kmsg-syslog thing just gets all the
> messages from kmsg and puts them into the syslog socket /dev/log but not
> sure about that.

as far as i understood it read from /dev/log and writes to /dev/kmsg
since kernellog buffer are large enough to take some more messages..
thats why you get the early boot messages in dmesg.. or isn't it??

since you mentioned that the created socket would buffer all messages
even if systemd-kmsg-syslog.service is not activated it should be
possible to link systemd-kmsg-syslog.service to /dev/null and just let a
late syslog-daemon read from this socket.. ?

i am a bit scared of doing it that way, because everything would
possibly hang if the kernelbuffer for this socket would be filled up..(?)

>> but how do i get rid of this socket activated /dev/log handling and
>> replace it with my syslog.service completely?
> Actually I think its not socket activated. It's just that the socket is
> created before starting the actual daemon. (socket activation would mean
> that the deamon is only started on traffic through that socket). In our
> case syslog.service is always started if multi-user.target is started.
 >
>> thanks @all for the links to all the systemd unit repositories..
>> -> why is it that all *syslog*.service files are WantedBy
>> multi-user.target and not let's say WantedBy basic.target?
 >
> Well all the messages are cached in the socket. So no harm in starting
> it late!

but then there is no syslog support (which logs to real files) in other
targets like rescue.target or whatever.target which don't install the
multi-user.target.. ?  i would prefer to have syslog support in every
"runlevel" / target i boot into.. just for the files and to know what
happened when i tried to fix some stuff and messed it up completly..8)
(i currently configured it to be wantedby basic.target)

cheers, marius..

--
Dipl.-Inf. Marius Tolzmann <marius.tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de>