[systemd-devel] Wildcards support for tmpfiles

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Dec 25 07:32:59 PST 2010

On Sun, 28.11.10 18:06, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Here is actual snippet from rc.sysinit:
>
> # Clean up various /tmp bits
> [ -n "$SELINUX_STATE" ] && restorecon /tmp
> rm -f /tmp/.X*-lock /tmp/.lock.* /tmp/.gdm_socket /tmp/.s.PGSQL.*
> rm -rf /tmp/.X*-unix /tmp/.ICE-unix /tmp/.font-unix /tmp/hsperfdata_* \
>        /tmp/kde-* /tmp/ksocket-* /tmp/mc-* /tmp/mcop-* /tmp/orbit-*  \
>        /tmp/scrollkeeper-*  /tmp/ssh-* \
>        /dev/.in_sysinit
>
> Most of these directories are actually per-user so there is no way to
> list each one individually. Is wildcard support just not implemented
> or there are arguments against adding it?

As Gustavo pointed out I am no big friend of wildcard removals like
that since they aren't really accurate.

Also, I do believe most of these files listed above aren't special in
any way and should be handled using the normal (time-based) clean-up
routines.

That all said, I am actually open to merging a patch for wildcards like
this, if this is done properly. If you have a nice patch I can be easily
convinced with code.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.