[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Packaging systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jul 3 06:19:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, 28.06.10 11:36, Marius O (marius at habarnam.ro) wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > A few hints for those who package systemd for the various distributions:
> >
> > However, systemd actually implements all the compatibility interfaces
> > these binaries offer (i.e. /sbin/reboot, /sbin/poweroff, /sbin/telinit,
> > /sbin/init and suchlike). You can activate them by symlinking
> > /bin/systemctl to most of them, and /bin/systemd to /sbin/init. These
> > will tools will figure out the way they have been invoked and do the
> > right thing.
> >

> Hello,
>
> May I suggest including also the /sbin/killall5 into the list of commands ?
> It should be able to send signals (usually -TERM and -KILL) to all
> processes for proper shutdown.

Many distributions have already split off killall5/pidof/wall and
similar commands from the sysvinit package and have separate RPMs for
them (usually "sysvinit-utils" or "sysvinit-tools"). These split off
packages should then be installed in parallel to systemd, while the main
sysvinit package is obsoleted by systemd.

In the long run the remaining utilities from sysvinit-utils will
probably move to Karel's util-linux-ng, since that is a better place for
them and they have otherwise little relevance for init systems. systemd
will then only carry commands directly related to bringing up the system
and compatibility with SysV for that.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.