[systemd-devel] Any plan for switching to libcap-ng?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Jul 4 05:14:30 PDT 2010

On Sun, 04.07.10 14:58, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:

> On 04.07.2010 14:43, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Sun, 04.07.10 14:21, Ozan Çağlayan (ozan at pardus.org.tr) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there any plan to port the capability stuff to libcap-ng? AFAIK bluez, dbus and
> >> irqbalance already switched to libcap-ng.
> >
> > Hmm, why? What's the rationale?
>
> http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/libcap-ng/
>
> I'm not at all familiar with but if this is intended to replace libcap in the future and
> provide the same functionalities and seen that bluez, dbus and irqbalance uses it, there may
> probably be a trend in the future for obsoleting it.
>
> Just noticed the dep while packaging systemd and asked out of curiosity BTW.

I have looked at libcap-ng now. I am not really sure what this would
give us. Also, I believe that API of libcap-ng is very much flawed,
using global (though at least per-thread) state. Generally I try to stay
away if I can, from libraries maintaining global state or playing thread
games, for systemd.

Hmm, and the fact that the so version is still at 0.0.0 although the
library version is already is at 0.6.4 doesn't make things better...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.