[systemd-devel] crosscompiling systemd-4

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jul 28 02:25:48 PDT 2010

> Hi,

heya,

> i am try to crosscompile systemd, but it fails if gernerating
> org.freedesktop.systemd1.*.xml files, because the crosscompiled
> systemd binary cant run on host.
>
> is there another way to generate the *.xml files?

They are not strictly necessary.

It is recommended but not necessary to install XML D-Bus introspection
files to /usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces, and we do this by extracting the
introspection data from the daemon binary itself. You can choose to not
install those files at all as nothing really reies on them or
alternatively generate them on a PC and copy them to your embedded machine.

> maybe it is possible if i compile systemd twice, one for host, one
> for target, but then i also must install all dependecies twice, one
> time for host and one time for target. i dont know if this is
> possible, but maybe an cleaner way is to create an little tool
> (compiled for the hostsystem) that generates the xml files and which
> dont depend on all the other libs.

Well, the reason we do things the way we do is that I didn't want to
maintain the introspection stuff twice. I am aware of the problems this
creates for cross compilation. Other solutions are thinkabale, for
example extracting the XML data from the binaries via readelf or
objdump, but so far I have seen no convincing way to do this, and hence
we just run the binaries themselves. Suggestions very welcome.

> another thing:
> must i have libselinux for systemd? my system dont use selinux - is
> it possible to make this optional?

Yes, I'd be willing to merge a patch to make it optional.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.