[systemd-devel] startup problems

Steve Herber herber at thing.com
Tue Jun 1 23:57:22 PDT 2010

I have installed systemd on a gentoo system using the latest
ebuild pulling in the latest git version.  (I just got bit
by this change: build-sys: default rootdir to prefix.  I think
the gentoo ebuild can be updated.  But that is not my problem.)

When I boot using systemd and all the services configured by
the gentoo ebuild,  the system goes into a failure mode and
I don't have a good way to capture the systemd[1] log messages
from the screen.  So this is a request for a set of configuration
files that bring up the most simple system possible.  Is that possible?

Here is an outline of the systemd[1] messages that I think give
and idea of what is happening with my system.  Feedback on the
particulars or recommendations in general are welcome.
Could I be missing a kernel module that systemd does not try to
load?

systemd running in init mode
modprobe autofs4
modprobe ipv6
set hostname to <where did the dots go?>
Why is there a weird diamond character in front of the files?
 	funny/etc/systemd/system
 	funny/usr/local/lib/systemd/system
 	funny/etc/init.d
 	funny/etc

Failed to get dbus connection
Autofs kernel version 1.0
Autofs protocol version 5.1
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount changed dead -> waiting
job proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount/start finished, success=yes

job dev-mqueue.automount/start finished, success=yes
Failed to initialize automounter: no such file or directory
sys-kernel-debug.automount/start finished, success=no

Running GC....  (poweroff needed now)

Thanks,

--
Steve Herber	herber at thing.com		work: 206-221-7262
Software Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services	home: 425-454-2399