[systemd-devel] systemd and archlinux: questions

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun May 9 14:12:54 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 22:57, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 09.05.10 22:42, Marius O (marius at habarnam.ro) wrote:
>
>> > Every local mount in /etc/fstab will be added as a dependency to
>> > local-fs.target, and every remote mount to remote-fs.target.
>>
>> "Will be added" or "Should be added" ? Because as it is now, with
>> vanilla local-fs.target I don't even get a / mounted properly, ie.
>> it's mounted readonly.
>
> *Will* be added. There are a number of special units in systemd. And
> local-fs.target and remote-fs.target are two of them: everything in
> /etc/fstab is added to one of the two. The other special units are
> listed in manager.h. One of those days we should document them all and
> in which way they are special.
>
> systemd only tracks mounts as a binary thing for the dependency tree,
> i.e. mounted XOR unmounted. There is no distinction between rdwr and
> ro. If you want remount / during bootupt then write a service for it
> that simply calls "/bin/mount / -o rw,remount" or so.

We should probably always re-apply all options from fstab. Also /proc,
/dev, /dev/shm which we mount natively with systemd may have options
listed in fstab, which might need to be applied later. There are
setups with insane amounts of disks which can't reliably bootup
without the proper non-default options for the /dev tmpfs.

So a common way to do this mandatory task would be good to have, I think.

Kay