[systemd-devel] waiting for device creation

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun May 16 05:32:00 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 02:33, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Now, what I don't really understand is why your /dev/rtc device doesn't
> exist anyway. Are you loading the rtc driver as a kernel module? If you
> do, then stop doing that, it's a useless excercise in making your boot
> artificially slow. And if you build that driver into your kernel then
> the magic of devtmpfs should make the device node available right-away
> so that you don't have to wait for it.

And the kernel itself will set the system time for you and makes all
of that not necessary:
  [    0.589871] rtc_cmos 00:07: setting system clock to 2010-05-16
11:41:32 UTC (1274010092)

And if you run Windows on non-UTC mode, just switch it to do so. All
the rtc magic should not be needed on usual boxes these days.

Kay