[systemd-devel] Archlinux patch for services and getty

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 19 18:04:22 PDT 2010

On Wed, 19.05.10 00:27, Marius O (marius at habarnam.ro) wrote:

Heya,

> Hello,
>
> I don't know if Arch is considered a well-known distribution, but
> here's a patch for adding a base for Arch specific services.

Oh, I think it is well-known enough, and in dubio pro reo...

> Also, how should we proceed in regards to higher level services ?
> (*DM, udev, etc)
>
> Should they be maintained into the main tree, or sepparately ?

Hmm, ideally those service files would be shipped from the tarballs
upstream. Of course, that won't happen anytime soon. So we probably
should collect them at some central place but probably not in the
systemd tree. Collecting themis probably not a lot of fun, given that
the services/packages have different semantics on the various
distributions.

Maybe we should just set up some seperate git repo where people can just
dump their service files in, and people have a good idea where to look.

Regarding your patch:

Those service files appear to be mostly a 1:1 copy of my Fedora files
but I am quite sure that there are certain differences between Arch and
Fedora that make some of those scripts redundant.

Are you sure you have something like rc.local? And are you sure you need
that stupid hack I have in there that establishes two names for rc.local
because our symlink for that is so weird? (i.e. we have a symlink
/etc/rc2.d/S99local → /etc/rc.local instead of /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local).

If you call /sbin/halt and friends directly you should be able to simply
pass -f, and you won't need the RUNLEVEL=6 env hack then. (RUNLEVEL=6 is
needed because sysvinit's halt is just one evil piece of code and our
halt script on Fedora does not pass -f to halt).

And "prefdm" I am pretty sure is a Fedora-ism and probably something we
should get rid of entirely in the end. If you have no reason for prefdm
then get rid of it.

In summary: rc-local.service, sysinit.service, prefdm.service,
killall.service are probably very much Fedora-specific. If you don't
have counterparts in Arch for those then you should just drop those
scripts, there is no reason to provide them. The only three services you
need to provide in the arch directory are reboot.service, halt.service
and poweroff.service because they are directly referenced in the
respective .target files.

Also, I have since changed quite a few unit files, so you might want to
update your patch for those changes!

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net