[systemd-devel] plymouthd integration

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Fri Nov 26 06:43:40 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to accomplish plymouthd/systemd integration in Pardus.

1) I've copied units/fedora/plymouth* stuff into units/pardus.
2) Copied prefdm.service from units/fedora into units/pardus and modified it
to suit my needs.
3) Patched Makefile.am and created a section for Pardus to symbolic link
things in /lib/systemd (Copied-pasted from the Fedora part but removed halt-
local.service)
4) Removed plymouthd startup from my initramfs to see what happens
5) Linked default.target to graphical.target just like in %post section of
fedora systemd package.

After booting,

1) plymouthd is started by systemd (expected)
2) It hardly appears (~1 sec) and then KDM comes (wow, too fast :))
3) During reboot/halt/poweroff, things are just like expected, a message is
rendered on top left corner so no problem at all.

Possible bugs/fixes/questions:
1) plymouth-read-write.service needs that rootfs is mounted rw so it should
explicitly state remount-rootfs.service in After= section. This fixes empty
/var/lib/plymouthd/boot-duration that's updated internally by systemd's
src/manager.c

2) Shouldn't plymouth-read-write.service contain After= .* plymouth-
start.service to assure that it's spawned when the plymouth daemon is running?

3) When I look into boot-duration I see 3 timestamps:
 plymouth-start.service
 rc-local.service
 rsyslog.service

 Can't plymouthd be started as the very first service as possible (or is it
already)? Because the progress on my theme doesn't even progress at all ;)

BTW, as plymouth-start.service is started after systemd-vconsole-setup, the
setfont problem that I've mentioned in another thread no longer arises. But if
I start plymouthd in initramfs, this is still an issue.

Helps, ideas, appreciated
Thanks!

---
Ozan Çağlayan