[systemd-devel] systemd failing with vfs-scale-working patch-set

Sedat Dilek sedat.dilek at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 29 06:08:42 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin at kernel.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 02:36:41PM +0100, Sedat Dilek wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have tried the vfs-scale-working patch-set from [1] (GIT tree see [2]).
>> > Unfortunately, I cannot boot my Debian/sid i386 system with systemd
>> > (system freezes) but with sysvinit.
[ ... ]
>> > Any idea on the Call-trace or digging into the problem?
>> > Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks for this, it definitely looks like a bug in vfs scale patches.
>
> I wonder if you can run with frame pointers turned on to get a more
> reliable back trace, and then also try to capture the information
> surrounding the oops.

Hi Nick,

I was just discussing the issue on #systemd and as you mention diverse
people there pointed out that it is not enough backtrace.
Serial-console or net-console was recommended to me, this requires a
2nd machine...
So let me see if I can setup n-c and get it running for a backtrace.

# grep -i frame /boot/config-$(uname -r) | grep -i point
CONFIG_SCHED_OMIT_FRAME_POINTER=y
CONFIG_ARCH_WANT_FRAME_POINTERS=y
# CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is not set

Damn, needs a rebuild :-).