[systemd-devel] Partially failed legacy initscripts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 5 14:22:33 PDT 2010

On Tue, 05.10.10 21:08, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> I noticed that tmp unmount failed even if I rebooted immediately after
> booting up. The reason was vmware initscript. Script partially failed
> because no drivers were present in currently running kernel. Still
> some stuff was started. But apparently because systemd believed
> service has failed, it did not try to stop it:

Hmpf. I'd argue that an init script which doesn't rollback any processes
it started on failure a broken init script.

> Traditional sysvinit would have stopped it anyway. Notice that cgroup
> is still available and contains some processes for this service. So
> what would be the right behaviour in this case?
>
> a) try to stop failed service anyway - that would be compatible with
> traditional initscripts handling
> b) try to stop failed service if it has some processes running

Hmpf. My suggestion would be:

a) fix broken init scripts like that

b) teach systemd to consider services with processes around which
nonetheless claimed startup failed to be active.

My personal favourite is to combine the two. I have now added b) to my
todo list.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.