[systemd-devel] network vs $network service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 11 17:02:49 PDT 2010

On Fri, 08.10.10 22:33, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> {pts/0}:~%> systemctl show --property=After network.target
> After=network.service network-up.service
> {pts/0}:~%> systemctl show --property=After network-up.service
> After=portreserve.service network.target ipsec.service fnfx.service
> watchdog.service ebtables.service basic.target
>
> As far as I understand, LSB treats foo and $foo as two different
> services. Silently treating them as identical is probably wrong?

Actually the LSB specs define the $ prefix only as a way to distuingish
"standard" names from normal names. They do not differ in their
semantics, only in politics, if you so will. That said systemd actually
bases a heuristic on this to figure out if some provided LSB name is
more likely supposed to be of the kind "add this to a generic target" or
"add an alias for this name".

While I do believe this is a poor choice of names of Mandriva I think
this is something we can fix with a few ifdefs. I'll discuss this with
Kay to figure out what we can do about this.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.