Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Wed Sep 8 06:50:56 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers at vrfy.org> wrote:

>>> Jack, did you check EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/xyz?
>>> if this file defines ABC=123, then you can use ExecStart=/path/to/app $ABC
>>>
>> I don't believe that feature existed when I first looked at systemd
>> but it sounds like exactly what would be needed.
>>
>>> AFAIK the first ExecStart must be a full path to the binary and cannot
>>> come from envvars.
>>
>> So if you have a system that has xdm, kdm and gdm all installed at the
>> same time, how would you choose which one to start? Likewise with
>> openssh and ssh, etc.
>
> Similar to sysv, by enabling the one you want, with:
>  systemctl enable $foo
> which will maintain this information as symlinks in /etc/systemd/system/.

Exactly, that would be the correct way.

However alternative solutions could be used, like:

    ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "$PREF_DM $OPTS"

Uglier, but there is no point in saying it is not capable of.

Moreover, this is free software and people are taking care of their
problems. Kay and Lennart focus on their stuff, we should help to fit
our needs... or wait a possibly endless loop: while
(!dreams_come_true()) complain();   :-)

For instance, I already submitted a way to disable sysv and later
today will send one to disable IPv6.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri