Running a systemd-based Gentoo system

Reno Reckling e-systemd at wthack.de
Wed Sep 8 07:12:14 PDT 2010

 Am 08.09.2010 16:02, schrieb Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri:
> Since you're doing this approach that would require an extra step, why
> not aim at a more powerful script that converts them to systemd units?
> Many of scripts these days use start-stop-daemon and we could generate
> matching units without much hassle.
>
> Anyway, your runscript.sh will be useful if we aim at having systemd
> as an official gentoo alternative.
>
> BR,
Of course my scripts are far from being useful, but i tried to integrate openrc into systemd the way sysv is integrated.
We ended up with the conclusion that a drop in replacement it barely working an that we have to generate service files automatically.
But at that point, my holidays ended an i had to learn for exams.
The steps that have to be taken to generate the files are:
run depcache.sh on every file in /etc/runlevel
create targets for all "runlevels"
create service files from depcache output, pay attention to the "provides", they are kind of tricky in gentoo.
let all the services be wanted by the runlevel targets.

That shouldn't be such a big task, so feel free to try it on your own.

Regards.