[systemd-devel] Systemd port on custom embedded linux

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Sep 14 09:45:55 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 18:40, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14.09.10 11:58, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:
>
>> Lennart, maybe we should make the kmod-setup take another flag "MUST"
>> and "OPTIONAL", do modprobe for each module in separate and fail if
>> "MUST" are not present? Right now it is confusing for users.
>
> Well, I don't believe that it is "user"'s job to compile a kernel and
> systemd. People who compile unix.ko or autofs4.ko as a module should
> just stop doing this. Quite frankly the kernel should just stop allowing
> people to compile unix.ko as a module. I think people who consider
> themselves smart enough to compile their own kernel should be capable of
> dealing with the fallout of doing so...

Yeah, many of these modules should just be a module if you _develop_
the kernel. It's very useful to be able to do modprobe/rmmod if you
hack on unix.c, but in other setups it's just plain useless to ever
have unix.ko and all these things.

I too think systemd should try to bootup in all cases, but also
complain loudly if stuff like this happens, and is in the way for
systemd to work reliably.

Kay