[systemd-devel] Couldn't find service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 14 11:58:11 PDT 2010

On Mon, 06.09.10 12:44, Piavlo (piavka at cs.bgu.ac.il) wrote:

> [root at fedora2 ~]# systemctl disable getty at tty6.service
> Couldn't find getty at tty6.service.
> [root at fedora2 ~]#
> ---------------------
>
> why disable does not work?

For instanced services "enable" and "disable" should be called for the
templates, not the instances. i.e. "systemctl disable getty at .service",
which will remove all gettys however.

Note that "systemctl enable" is useful for enabling the *suggested*
installation only. And the suggested installation of "getty at .service" is
to create 6 instances...

> In order to start
> serial console I had to make the following link manually
> /etc/systemd/system/serial-getty at ttyS0.service ->
> /lib/systemd/system/serial-getty at .service
> but this does not seems as correct way
> how can i do this with systemctl instead?

This should now happen automatically and work reliably.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.