[systemd-devel] Services enabled by default?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Sep 20 11:58:31 PDT 2010

On Mon, 20.09.10 16:42, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> >>  - systemd-random-seed-save.service: why do we need this as a
> >> separated service? Anyway, shouldn't it be in
> >> /lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants by default?
> >
> > Same.
>
> This clashes with our existing sysv init scripts on Debian.
>
> Could those services only be enabled by default if you make a
> native/non-sysv build?

Well, it is definitely our intention to gently push the distributions in
the same direction so that they stop supporting deviating solutions for
these things where there's really no point at all in doing so.

Due to that our plan is to enable all this by default in "make
install". Packagers may then choose to disable it by doing an "rm" after
the "make install", but we want to put the burden on the packagers, so
that eventually we end up with the same base system on all
distributions, and we put an end to senseless configuration differences
between the distros for the really basic stuff.

If a distro decides that for example the random seed save/restore is not
good enough for it, then it's their own job to disable ours and plug in
their own instead. Sooner or later they'll hopefully notice that it's
not worth it and cross-distro unification is worth more.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.