[systemd-devel] simple systemd boot status

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Tue Sep 21 19:39:04 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I've wrote a proof of concept of a simple boot status for systemd.
Yeah, I know fedora folks have their super-duper plymouth, but I don't
want such thing just to show some progress.

My current version is at
http://git.profusion.mobi/cgit.cgi/gustavo/systemd-bootstatus/ and
provides a simple text-version. By default itwill allocate tty12,
clear the screen and draw a small ascii box in the center with the
current progress it polls every 0.1s.  The final binary is around 16kb
stripped, so quite simple and should not impact your boot.

Later on I plan to add a fbdev output and even later on, if time
allows, I plan to add a version with kms. NONE of these will include
image or font support, they will just setup the graphics mode and draw
a progress bar. The idea is not to link with libraries that are not
required (otherwise I'd use EFL, that is much simpler and efficient
that all the replication done in plymouth BTW).

The project contains a very simple ad-hoc makefile, after I have some
more code I will add autoconf to it. Any input and patches are
appreciated.

Lennart: do you mind adding a simple property NFailedJobs? It would be
very helpful :-)

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri