[systemd-devel] Systemd port on custom embedded linux

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Sep 26 17:17:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, 23.09.10 14:09, Cristian Axenie (cristian.axenie at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Any ideas about the following behavior?
>
> ~ # reboot
> Broadcast message from root (ttyS0)
>
> The system is going down for system halt NOW!
> [  296.080000] systemd-initctl[698]: Received environment initctl request.
> This is not implemented in systemd.

Hmm, interesting. Normally this environment stuff is only used for
controlling the type of a poweroff (i.e. halt vs. poweroff), and matters
little.

Note that this messages should only become visible if you try to control
systemd with implementations of halt/reboot/poweroff/shutdown from the
old sysvinit package. It is recommended to use the native systemd
implementations instead which you get by symlinking /bin/systemctl to
the various binaries.

For more details see:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2010-June/000072.html

> And then the system freezes !

Completely? Or just the process?

> It seems that the initctl tries to request a command to set/unset the
> environment when rebooting the system. Is this related to the fact that the
> reboott service is setting in the Environment=RUNLEVEL=6 variable ?

No. This is done internally of the old sysvinit poweroff binary.

> Any hint will be appreciated !

My guess is that some kind of ordering loop makes it impossible to put
together and execute the shutdown transaction. Check syslog/dmesg.

Does "systemctl poweroff" work?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.