[systemd-devel] Doing development tests with systemd?

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 05:28:50 PDT 2011

Hello all

I am working on a project where we are developing a few new
server-side services that depend on each other.

We are designed these services to take advantage of as many of the
systemd features as possible (socket activation, etc.).

We would like to find a way to run integration tests where we start
some or all these services under systemd and then run a bunch of tests
against them.

We want to make sure that our socket activation code works, that
systemd restarts our process if they crashes, that systemd sets up the
chroot environment correctly for each service, etc.

Ideally, we'd like to achieve this without touching the configuration
of the developer's system itself, since they might still be running
Fedora 14 without systemd, or might have built systemd directly from
git. This should isolate the developer's system from any issues while
we sort out the systemd configuration of our services.

I am hoping to be able to do something like:

sudo /opt/systemd/bin/systemd --user --config=/path/to/projects/etc

and then run the integration tests.

Perhaps to get things as close as possible to a real system we could
perhaps have a script to set up some bind mounts for the developer's
binaries and configuration files to appear under some directory and
then have the developer do something like:

sudo chroot /path/to/testing/root /bin/systemd --user

If anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve a setup like this, I'd
really like to hear them.

Thanks!

Regards

Albert