[systemd-devel] /run DoS

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun Apr 3 14:45:51 PDT 2011

2011/4/3 Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de>:
> On Sun, 03.04.11 23:28, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4 at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> > But for /dev/shm I see no quick fix... do you?
>>
>> Unfortunately not. No one foresaw that quota support on tmpfs will
>> someday be useful :)
>>

>> > I think we should fix either both or should wait for the proper fix by
>> > the kernel.
>>
>> Can you temporarily fix one?
>
> Well, of course we could.
>
> But, think about it, what does this help? The vulnerability doesn't go
> away by doing this, and we'd have a temporary hack in there, that we'd
> have to remove later on again.

Systems who might run into problems with /dev/shm, can just add limits
to /etc/fstab, and systemd will re-mount it and apply them.

There should really be a _proper_ solution some day, be it quota or
something else. We have way too many /tmp-like dirs, where users can
just leave their crap behind and cause problems. This is really
nothing new with systemd.

Kay