[systemd-devel] PgSQL, MySQL systemd services - how to rewrite complex init scripts?

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 07:39:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

I want to rewrite postgresql and mysqld init scripts for my system
(later, of course, I want to share them with others) and I wonder if
there are any recomendations how to rewrite complex scripts.

Postgresql script has perform_initdb(), initdb() and upgrade()
functions. IMO these functions should be in separated script. The
problem is that there are some database format version checks. IMO
these checks are very important, so maybe it would be a good way to
move them to separated script and run them with ExecStartPre? But what
happens when this script exits because database format is old and
needs an update? How to handle such situation?

Mysql script also has some data dir creation code - I think it can
also be moved to separated script.

Thoughts, recommendations, comments are welcome

--
Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/