[systemd-devel] rsyslog drops messages in debug mode

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 19 17:33:29 PDT 2011

On Fri, 18.03.11 07:42, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2011/3/18 Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com>:
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:03:01 +0100
> > Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> when booting with systemd.log_level=debug, I get
> >>
> >> Mar 18 06:39:26 pluto rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock begins to drop messages
> >> from pid 1 due to rate-limiting
> >> Mar 18 06:39:31 pluto rsyslogd-2177: imuxsock lost 127 messages from
> >> pid 1 due to rate-limiting
> >>
> >> Note: I didn't explicitly use systemd.log_target=kmsg
> >>

> > I believe it's an rsyslog (imuxsock module) newer feature to limit flow
> > from extra-verbose apps by default, which you can tune or completely
> > bypass, as described in the docs:
> >

> I know that (and I forgot to add that I use rsyslog 5.7.8).
> My point rather is, that for a default rsyslog + systemd installation
> imho this should not happen.
> I'm wondering if the default values in rsyslog are too aggressive in
> that regard?

That's why I suggest using systemd.log_level=debug in combination with
systemd.log_target=kmsg.

But yeah, maybe the default should be raised a little in rsyslog. Or
maybe rsyslog should allow more debug info than other info by defualt?
Dunno. Maybe file a bug against rsyslog?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.