[systemd-devel] Improve boot-time of systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 19 17:39:12 PDT 2011

On Fri, 18.03.11 13:52, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> > I tried to create a hotplug.target(which is activated after
> > default.target), and made udev-settle reside at it, this rendered a
> > unbootable system. systemd depends on udev at early time.
> > Thoughts: devtmpfs is mounted, so all cold-plug jobs can be done
> > without udev involved.
> > IMHO, fast boot doesn't mean get all services ready in a short time,
> > but means popup an UI as soon as possible. Windows seems do hotplug
> > jobs after user log in.
> >

> Mandriva uses so called "speedboot" with sysvint - where GUI is
> started as soon as possible. It is handcrafted so that only several
> device classes are coldplugged and then DM is launched effectively
> from rc.sysinit already.

We want this to become the default actually. Currently the semantics of
rc-local still block us from doing that. But ideally gdm would popup a
login dialog on every screen as it shows up with no delay in any way,
and without waiting for any other services.

> Users did mention that boot under systemd actually feels slower then
> using sysvinit.

We can spawn the full set of userspace services (reasonably complete
GNOME session) now in less than 1s. I doubt anybody else has been
capable of doing anything like that in this time so far.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.