[systemd-devel] I'm moving from runit to systemd. Some questions...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 1 16:17:48 PDT 2011

On Sun, 17.07.11 13:27, Warpme (warpme at o2.pl) wrote:

> Hi *
>
> I really like systemd concept and currently I'm in process of
> migrating my Arch based home server form runit to systemd.
> Regarding this I have some basic usage related questions.
> If this is wrong place to ask this type of questions - forgive me
> and pls hint me where is best place to ask.
>
> 1. How can I achieve have v.brief console info regarding what
> service started OK and what was failed (sort of "systemctl
> --failed") but during boot process. Currently I have
> "--systemv-console" as parameter in systemd init cmd line - but this
> shows me only processing progress of starting services but without
> any info about status.

If you don't have "quiet" on the kernel cmdline you should see pairs of
"Starting ..." and "Started ... " lines. If a service fails you'll see
"Starting... " and "Starting ... failed" instead. The "failed" is
highlighted red.

> 2.My server has some services which are servers for other services.
> e.g. proc1 is required to operate for proc2. Abort of proc1 requires
> ordered restart of proc2 with given delay.

Hmm, so if the restart is triggered by the user this will already work
correctly, but it currently won't if this is an automatic restart due to
a service aborting. I have now added this to the TODO list.

> 3.My server has 3 volumes with data required by it's functions. My
> current mount arrangement is following:
> -I deleted related entries in fstab
> -I add in "/etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants/<volume>.mount"
> unit files with following content:
>
> [Unit]
> Description=<bla bla>
> Before=<local-fs.target>
>
> [Mount]
> What=/dev/sdb1
> Where=/<mount_point>
>
> Such arrangement works OK but I didn't see support for auto fsck. Do
> I miss something or auto-fsck needs some additions in above config ?

Add Wants=fsck@%i.service or similar to the unit file.

For now, it's probably easiert to use fstab.

> 4. My target is to have system where I will have designated telinit
> level to do fsck on all volumes and next continue with normal boot.
> What will be best method to achieve such functionality ?

You can have multiple targets. You first boot into the first target, do
what you want to do, finally start the second target.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.