[systemd-devel] fsck checking: passno interpretation problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 1 16:48:23 PDT 2011

On Sat, 30.07.11 01:11, Mariusz Bialonczyk (manio at skyboo.net) wrote:

> Hello again
> I want to bring some new light on this issue. It seems that passno doesn't solve the
> "busy device" issue (I tested it on debian's systemd v25-2 and also 29-1).
> >From time to time I've got the following error when starting (maybe about 1/4 of all reboots):
> systemd-fsck[572]: fsck.ext4: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/md4
> systemd-fsck[572]: Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
> But when I reboot another time the system boot up normally.
>
> Full screen from this boot process: http://skyboo.net/IMG_8188.JPG
> It seems that there is a problem with fsck-ing /dev/md devices (race condition?).
> Any news/tips to solve this? This is very annoying when the host is not always starting :(

Hmm, I have not seen a similar problem. My guess is though that there's
some borkage with the RAID udev rules (are there any?): i.e. race
between systemd spawning fsck on the md devices and some other code
(that might be spawned from the udev rule) that does the same.

Kay, do you have an idea?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.