[systemd-devel] Using Multiple EnvironmentFile lines

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Aug 2 12:42:34 PDT 2011

2011/8/2 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 08/02/2011 07:11 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
>>
>> t doesn't make much sense for me to run nfsd, mountd, rquotad and
>> everything from a single .service unit - after all, they are separate
>> services with their own protocols... I might want to just restart rpc.idmapd
>> without killing the rest of NFS.
>>
>> For Arch Linux I tried to separate everything into their own units; far
>> from perfect, but it's much cleaner:
>
> Same thing I did but Steve did not like that...

The upcoming systemd code will actually ensure that nothing started in
Pre= sections will continue to run, before the main service process is
started. Systemd will need to kill the remaining processes from Pre=
after a timeout.

To properly supervise a service, every service needs to be in its own
cgroup, so please split the stuff up into their own service files.
Only one main process per systemd service can reliably work here. The
split-up services can be connected with dependencies to ensure
ordering and failure handling, but must remain separate for systemd
tracking and management.

The above service file will fail in the upcoming systemd version.

Thanks.
Kay