[systemd-devel] Unit failed to load: Cannot allocate memory.

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:02:15 PDT 2011

Good day,

Updating to systemd-33 (with "include missing.h" patch) seem to give me
the following errors on boot:

  [   27.024525] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit fossil_echo.service, ignoring: Unit fossil_echo.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status fossil_echo.service' for details.
  [   27.024912] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit catalyst_thruk.service, ignoring: Unit catalyst_thruk.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status catalyst_thruk.service' for details.
  [   27.025256] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit uwsgi_graphite.service, ignoring: Unit uwsgi_graphite.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status uwsgi_graphite.service' for details.
  [   27.025600] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit uwsgi_ves.service, ignoring: Unit uwsgi_ves.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status uwsgi_ves.service' for details.
  [   27.025989] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit git-daemon.service, ignoring: Unit git-daemon.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status git-daemon.service' for details.
  [   27.026344] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit transmission-daemon.service, ignoring: Unit transmission-daemon.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status transmission-daemon.service' for details.
  [   27.026873] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit dnsfilter.service, ignoring: Unit dnsfilter.service failed to load: Cannot allocate memory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dnsfilter.service' for details.

Tried to reboot twice this morning (due to unrelated issues), and both
times it were the same same errors for the same units.

systemctl status doesn't seem to show much more information:

  uwsgi_graphite.service - uwsgi: graphite web
   Loaded: error (Reason: Cannot allocate memory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Rolling back to systemd-32 (w/o any other changes in the system) fixes
the problem.

Machine in question has 2G RAM and shouldn't be running much more than
kernel (3.0.1) and systemd at this point.
System is amd64 exherbo linux with systemd being built with gcc-4.5.3
(-march=native (atom) -pipe -O2).

Guess I should've tried daemon-reload, to see if the units will be
loaded then, but I haven't thought about it at that point.

Looking at the unit files in question I don't see much similarity,
git-daemon for example is a straight one-liner ExecStart= service,
while uwsgi units have User= Group= KillSignal= WorkingDirectory= etc.

Guess I can reboot the machine a few more times to try to debug the
problem further, but aside from systemd behavior on daemon-reload I
don't really know where to look, any advice is appreciated.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net