[systemd-devel] what dependencies does systemd itself have on underlying system?

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 03:09:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:08:57 -0400
John Lumby <johnlumby at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there some statement somewhere listing the dependencies/assumptions which systemd requires/makes
> about the system on which it is running, in order to function correctly?
> I don't see this covered in the general man pages etc.
> Googling "systemd dependencies" of course turns up answers to a different question.
>
> My situation is a conversion from Fedora 14 -> 15 where I am finding that sometimes the system won't boot,
> and it *seems* systemd is having trouble.
> For example,   it *seems* that any failure in mounting a filesys named in /etc/fstab results in problems;
> And it *seems* that booting a custom kernel without an initramfs always results in total hang during boot.
> And I am guessing it won't like being run root-over-nfs?
>
> But I'd like to know what it needs first in case I'm breaking the rules.

Some stuff is listed in the README file (REQUIREMENTS and WARNINGS
sections), but it doesn't really covers all possible misconfigurations,
of course.

To figure out what exactly goes wrong, I think it might help to disable
pymouth, remove "quiet" from kernel cmdline and add somehing like
"systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg" there (see systemd(1)
and kernel Documentation on cmdline parameters).

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net